nia community fund

Featured

nia’s mission is to facilitate social change and environmental sustainability. We strive to be part of the solution by investing in entrepreneurial change makers who are working on key solutions to better our world.

Four Plans That Shaped Downtown Oakland’s First 100 Years

oakland early downtown Oakland Public Library

To understand Oakland — and particularly the history of its downtown — requires an understanding of what is happening in the broader region. Read more as SPUR explores the early history of downtown Oakland through four key plans that shaped the place HERE.

http://www.spur.org/publications/article/2015-02-03/four-plans-shaped-downtown-oakland-s-first-100-years

Share:
twitterbuttonfacebookbutton

What We’re Reading Now!

Here are some of the compelling investigations into challenges facing our world that the Nia team is reading right now.

climatewar

“The Climate War: True Believers, Power Brokers and the Fight to Save the Earth” by Eric Pooley

In The Climate War, Eric Pooley—deputy editor of Bloomberg BusinessWeek—does for global warming what Bob Woodward did for presidents and Lawrence Wright did for terrorists. In this epic tale of an American civil war, Pooley takes us behind the scenes and into the hearts and minds of the most important players in the struggle to cap global warming pollution—a fight in which trillions of dollars and the fate of the planet are at stake.

thischangeseverything

“This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. the Climate” by Naomi Klein

The most important book yet from the author of the international bestseller The Shock Doctrine, a brilliant explanation of why the climate crisis challenges us to abandon the core “free market” ideology of our time, restructure the global economy, and remake our political systems.

In short, either we embrace radical change ourselves or radical changes will be visited upon our physical world. The status quo is no longer an option.

 

powerofIWill

“The Code: The Power of ‘I Will'” by Shaun Tomson

How to convert the power of “I Will” into a life-changing mantra

The twelve stories in this book, taken from Shaun Tomson’s own life experiences in and out of the surfing world, offer the simple message—I Will—as a model to face life’s challenges and help you achieve your goals. All you need is to be encouraged to find your voice and commit yourself to positive values. The stories resonate with positivity and hope for the future, and are infused with the belief that even in the darkest time, light shines ahead to show you the way forward.

 

Have you read these books? Do you have any good reading recommendations? Let us know what you think on Facebook or Twitter!

facebookbuttontwitterbutton

White House Roundtable on Impact Investing

Today, at a White House roundtable on impact investing, we at Nia Community announced our commitment to 100% mission aligned investing, as one of more than 20 new private sector commitments to drive more than $1.5 Billion into impact investments that intentionally generate financial return as well as measurable social or environmental impact.

Read more here.

Share:

twitterbuttonfacebookbutton

A Conversation with Kristin Hull

A conversation with Kristin Hull and Foundation Source on education, impact investing, and social justice.
foundationsource

1. WHAT CAUSE OR ISSUE IS MOST IMPORTANT TO YOU AND WHY?

Social justice and environmental sustainability are my big passions. I initially saw our public education system as a key leverage place to initiate change and move toward more equity. And now, having been in the field of philanthropy for a bit, I have added, as a strategy to move the dial on these issues, the concept of conscious investing. So often in foundation work we concentrate on granting out the mandatory 5%, and are not fully aware of the impact that can be made with our endowments – the other 95% of our foundation capital. I am really excited about activating our foundation endowment moneys to address causes we care about…

Read more at Foundation Source